TOKYO, JAPAN, February 9, 2006 --- NTV announced today that it has agreed with NTT DoCoMo, Inc. to form a strategic alliance for connected service between TV broadcasting and mobile services, and to establish a LLP jointly.
NIPPON TELEVISION NETWORK CORPORATION (NTV, headquartered at Minato-ku, Tokyo, Japan: Representative Director & President Mr. Shintaro KUBO) and NTT DOCOMO, INC. (NTT DoCoMo, headquartered at Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo, Japan: President & CEO Mr. Masao NAKAMURA) have reached an agreement to form a strategic alliance mainly for joint study to connect the datacasting service on the Mobile DTT broadcasting (called 1-SEG service) and the existing mobile services. Based on the agreement, both parties also agreed to establish a Limited Liability Partnership (LLP) for content development.
Many discussions and various studies have been made between the parties about the possible connection between TV broadcasting, like 1-SEG service which is scheduled to launch on April 1st, 2006, and mobile services.
Under such rapidly changing circumstances, NTV and NTT DoCoMo share a common thought that it would be necessary to create new types of content by connecting TV broadcasting and telecommunication, to provide more attractive services to customers and to form a strong partnership by utilizing each party’s competence.
The details of the alliance and the LLP are as follows:
1. Joint study of connected services between TV broadcasting and mobile services (like 1-SEG service)
- (1)Development of connected services between TV broadcasting and mobile services, such as the connection between the datacasting service on the 1-SEG platform and the existing mobile services, like i-mode as the world's most popular mobile Internet service.
- (2)Joint study of new services for the upcoming 1-SEG service.
- (3)Connection between TV content of NTV and the existing mobile services of NTT DoCoMo, such as V-Live, i-Motion, etc.
- (4)Application of the “Mobile Wallet” phone (handset utilized for financial transactions) by NTT DoCoMo in the various events to be sponsored by NTV.
2. Establishment of the LLP
- (1) LLP Name: D.N. Dream Partners LLP
- (2) Business: Development, investment and production of rich content, including TV programs, for connected service with the mobile phone.
- (3) Total capital: J\ 10 billion. (NTV 50%: NTT DoCoMo 50%)
- (4) Date of establishment: April 3, 2006 (tentative)
- (5) Period of LLP: 7 (seven) years from its establishment
The LLP will further study and develop specific content.
For more information, please contact:
NTV Public Relations, Comprehensive Planning
Business Planning Flow Chart of the LLP